Tuesday, March 11, 2014

7 All-Time Favourite Historical Fiction Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

This week's topic is Top Ten Books in X Genre, which is fantastic for me as a reader because I get to discover all these amazing books in different genres and maybe ones that I don't read very often. For my post though, I initially thought that I was going to pick contemporary because it's the one that I read the most often! But I really wanted to step out of my boundaries and dip my toe into another genre that I really love but don't get enough of: historical fiction. I remember being third grade and tearing through those The Royal Diaries books with all those princesses. Unfortunately, I don't read as much historical fiction now as I did then so I don't have a round 10 to give you (I don't think I ever have, now that it's mentioned) but hopefully, you enjoy my 7 picks!
This is part fantasy, part historical fiction. One of my favourite fantasy novels ever and by association, one of my favourite historical fictions too. Honestly, it doesn't have as much history as some of the other books on this list but I really really enjoyed reading it.

I read this book last year for school and I remember liking it but not loving it. There were some things I had trouble with that I mentioned in my review but that aside, Achebe really did create a very insightful and meaningful book. It was interesting to see colonization from the perspectives of the villagers and learn more about Africa. I don't think I've ever read any book set in Africa, except for a few books on Cleopatra.

I actually have not finished this book yet. I wasn't able to get the last 100 pages in before it was due at the library but whatever, because I read ahead and already KNOW that it's going to be a favourite of mine. (I'm going to go buy it this time and I'm super excited to finally be able to finish it!) I just happen to have a great fascination with all the things the book is about: spirits, New York City, and the 1920's/1930's. Really, really interesting novel that's very exciting. Bray's writing really makes the twenties feel alive!

This is a great historical fiction as well! It's a very unconventional story in terms of how it was told but it's just so beautifully written and SO SO good. I really must reread this one day! 

I read this book for book club and it was very good! Ruta is an amazing storyteller and you could really see it from this book. It was very educational too as the books set during the 1940's usually tell the story of Hitler, I find, but this one was about Stalin who I knew very little about before I read this book. 

One of my FAVOURITE historical fictions, hands down. I remember back in 2011 when everyone was raving about this book. It actually is so good though. Stockett is just such a wonderful author and the characters were really great. I recommend this if you have not read it yet!

The Season is set during Regency England which is another one of my favourite eras ever. If I could live in any time, it would probably be then - given that I was a noble so I could attend all those fun balls! So much intrigue in this book with a mystery and the most swooniest guy you'll ever meet. Oh, Gavin!


Have you read any of the books on my list? Are there other historical fiction novels you would like to recommend to me? And if you like historical fiction too, what're some of your favourite settings to read about?

No comments :

Post a Comment