Sunday, March 2, 2014

[MINI REVIEW] The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty #1
Published May 5, 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Paperback, 276 pages
Borrowed from the library



The Summer I Turned Pretty is a novel that would look right at home in your beach bag. And not just because it's set during the summer. The Summer I Turned Pretty is the type of fluffy, light and fast-read you want when you go to the beach. Nothing too serious to dampen your mood. Nothing too complex to make your head hurt.

It's set during the summer at a beach house and centers around this girl named Belly. She's grown up at the beach house, along with her mum's close friend Susannah and her sons, Conrad and Jeremiah who share the place with them. There really isn't much of a storyline in this book, to be honest. It's mostly just about this love triangle between Conrad, Jeremiah and Belly. 

I had read Han's other novel, Shug and really, really liked it so I was looking forward to this one and unfortunately, it let me down. There wasn't anything memorable about this book at all and I just felt everything was very superficial and lacking depth. All in all, this book was bland and a total let-down.

No comments :

Post a Comment