Sunday, June 29, 2014

Hey You, Let's Be Friends!

Sometimes, I think back to that hot summer day in August when I started book blogging and just think, "What have I gotten myself into?" But it's not meant in a bad way like ugh-blogging-is-so-gross-what-have-I-gotten-myself-into way. It's more like wow-so-much-has-happened-since-then-this-is-so-overwhelming-and-wonderful-what-have-I-gotten-myself-into type of way.

Am I the only one who ever feels that?

I've been blogging for nearly TWO YEARS now (and no, no matter how many times I say it, it does not become more real for me) and it's crazy to see how much has changed for me in terms of blogging in two years. It's especially crazy however to see how I've come to realize that blogging is a lot more than just writing out blog posts. It's a LOT more than that and one of the things I've learned about blogging is that it's very much a social activity. It's very weird for me because it started out solely as a personal endeavour but as the months have ticked by, I've started crawling out of my own little corner of the Internet and started to wander about into other people's territories. And while it was kinda weird at first to work up the nerve to comment and say hello, it's something that is ALMOST second nature for me when I'm blogging. And so, you know, I've ended up "meeting" a lot of super cool people.

I say "meeting" in quotations because I don't think you can call commenting on a blog a few times and maybe chatting occasionally on Twitter "meeting". I know it's common for bloggers to form lifetime bonds through blogging and I know a lot of book bloggers already have that but right now for me, that's more a fantasy than a reality. Because like I said, I've met a lot of really cool people but I don't think I've really gotten to know any of them really well. But I want to because everyone's just seems so fantastic.

It's kinda like the first day of school where everyone's doing introductions and then that one person just so happens to mention that one thing that you love too and then your mind's just set on befriending them.

Or am I the only one who feels that way?

But anyway, that's essentially what happens to me all the time in blogging. Because it's the internet though, I don't have to say a single word to get to know someone well and figure out what they like. Through reading blog posts or reading their tweets or whatever, I can learn a lot and I feel like that's a really creepy thing for me to say but it's true. You learn a lot indirectly and this is not to scare you guys into being more cautious about what you're putting out there (God knows I should be the one worrying about that) but more as an explanation of how I can make up my mind about someone and how sweet they are and so on without even really talking to them.

The thing about everything being online is that it's a lot harder, or maybe it's just me who finds it harder, to start up a conversation. In reality, it (usually) comes quite naturally for me to make conversation with someone by smiling but online, I just feel it can get really weird. I think everyone in general is really sweet and friendly and it might be more my extreme consciousness when it comes to Twitter but I feel like it's a bit odd if someone just randomly replies to your tweet if you've never seen them around before. Or randomly favourites your tweet.

So how do you approach someone online and talk to them? Obviously there has to be that first step of someone reaching out to one or the other but how can I make it not awkward? How do I say, "Hey I think you're a really interesting person and I know you don't know me but I read your blog and I've learned we have all these things in common and I just want to talk to you because you seem fabulous" without so many words and as random?

Because in the end, I just really love all of you guys and think you're all such great, wonderful and interesting people and want to get to know all of you better. HEY YOU, LET'S BE FRIENDS!


Now, tell me, do you ever have that feeling as a blogger? Where you've never really talked to another blogger but you comment from time to time and LOVE their blog and just know that you guys have this and this in common from posts and just REALLY want to get to know them better because they seem so cool and just have that urge to scream LET'S BE FRIENDS? 

And if you're still reading this, I have a favour to ask of you! I'm thinking of doing a Q&A video on my channel soon (just because I think it'd be a lot of fun) so if you have any questions you would like to ask me (of any type, doesn't have to be just book-related!), feel free to leave them in the comments! Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment