Friday, August 15, 2014

Cover It Up! (1): An Introduction & Favourite August 2014 Releases


I've been thinking of creating a feature centered around book covers for a really long time now. I know there are so many in the blogosphere that it probably makes no difference that I'm introducing this because I'm sure tons of people have beat me to it already BUT I honestly just kinda want to do it for myself because I love talking about covers and recently I've been looking for things to spice up my blog a bit and I think this will be really fun! If not for you, then at least for me.

For the very first post, I thought I would show you guys my favourite covers of the new August releases this month. Which was actually rather difficult because there aren't a ton of books out this August and (no offense to book designers or whatever) not to mention, ones that actually have nice covers. I managed to find nine books though with covers that I really do love a lot though so I'm going to be talking a little about each of them and then at the bottom of this post, I'll attach a little poll for you guys to chime in with what your favourite cover out of my picks are OR to suggest a new release coming out this month of your own with a gorgeous cover you love that I didn't include in my post but you think really deserve the recognition.


Released 8/5
So this cover didn't really catch my attention at first but after seeing it around the blogosphere quite a bit, I have to admit that it's grown on me. I think the photograph is really interesting for some reason with the girl opening the flap of something. I don't love the font but on this cover, it works. I can't really explain why I'm so taken by this cover honestly because it isn't the usual illustrated and bright cover I love to love but I just really, really like it. Is that a good enough reason?


Released 8/12
Again, this isn't the type of cover that I'd usually go for but there's something about this cover that really catches my eye. It's a pretty minimalistic cover but it's also really interesting with the boy's head replaced by a pixelated image on an unspecified tablet thing. And the bonus is that it actually holds relevance to the story. It's great when a cover is pretty and eye-catching but it's even greater when it hints at the contents inside.


Released 8/12
It's hard to say but I think this might be my favourite cover out of all of them. I love illustrated covers and this one is BEAUTIFUL. It reminds me a bit of the hardcover edition of The Diviners with the eye. The eye is rather quirky looking and I love what it adds to the entire cover. The one thing about this cover though that impresses me the most is the attention to detail. Everything is accounted for like the descriptions of what I'm assuming to be the characters written in the borders and the ring of roman numerals surrounding the pupil (not sure what that signifies). And my favourite part: the title blending in with the house.


Released 8/5
So this is actually the very first English edition of this book which was initially published in French. This is another simpler cover but I find it really interesting as well. The fonts don't really seem to work up close but from afar, I find they actually go rather well together. And I love the little detailing in the top corners!


Expected Release Date: 8/19
This cover kinda falls in the same category as Grasshopper Jungle for me, as in obnoxiously bright. Just looking at it gives me a headache (though I'm sure it'd be less BAM in person) but I like it all the same. The bright red cover just makes the paper crane stand out even more which I gave bonus points for because I love making origami cranes. And also the handwritten font. Just love. So much love.


Expected Release Date: 8/26
Hmm I may or may not be rethinking my decision of pronouncing The Supernatural Enhancements my favourite cover because A Little Something Different sure does give it a run for its money! Cute illustrations? Check. Interesting fonts? Check. Pretty colours? Check. Just all together, a piece of art. If I could have it framed on my wall, I would!

Released 8/5
I like pink. I like shoes. I like the skirt. And man oh man, do I LOVE the font! I've always found a liking to quirky handwritten fonts and I definitely really like this one! It kinda reminds me of writing with a paintbrush when all your letters turn out really huge and bold. And I think overall, the cover really does suit a book called "a very modern fairy tale".


Released 8/14
Well, first of all, let me just say how much I want to read this book. I LOVED Dangerous Girls, really thought it was one of the best mysteries that I'd ever read so now for Dangerous Boys to finally be out is really exciting for me. And now about the cover, it's rather simple really and I don't think it's a super memorable cover either but I DO really like the colours chosen and the sparks. I've always had this fascination with sparks and those sparkler thingies. Just think they're so cool!


Released 8/14
Oh my god, ISLA. I have so much to say about how freaking happy I am that this book is FINALLY OUT but I'm pretty sure you guys already know my thoughts on that so we'll just move swiftly to the cover. Which I love. This is where I'm kinda glad I didn't buy Anna and Lola super early when they still had the old covers because these new ones are much prettier, in my opinion! I love the ombre effect and the skyline of New York in the background and ah, it's just so pretty!


Now, it's your turn! Tell me your thoughts about these covers and maybe any suggestions for future Cover It Up! posts in the comments. I would really, really love to hear from you! And don't forget to vote in the poll attached below! 

Which cover of these August 2014 new releases is your favourite?
Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine
Random by Tom Leveen
The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero
I Love, I Hate, I Miss My Sister by Amelie Sarn
Ghosting by Edith Pattou
A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
Charlie Glass' Slippers: A Very Modern Fairy Tale by Holly McQueen
Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Other
Please Specify:
Poll Maker

No comments :

Post a Comment